Monday's over for most... HOORAY!***EDIT: It has just been brought to my attention that today is not Monday.. it is in fact Wednesday. Where is my mind?*** And now for something completely different. Sanford, FL is my hometown. I grew up there and have tons of fond memories. Sanford used to be amazing back in it's day heyday and it shows; there is a lot of history there (which I adore), a lot of which you can actually see to this day.
Anyways... the recent Treyvon Martin case has definitely damaged Sanford's reputation. If you are unsure who Treyvon Martin is, look him up on Google and then please let me know what bridge you have been living under that you have been able to escape all forms of news media. So, Sanford is now going through a "revitalization" project of sorts. Businesses have been hurting so many are doing all they can to show that Sanford isn't such a bad place after all. The following is my feeble attempt to do my part.
5 Places You Must Visit In Sanford, FL
|A view of Downtown Sanford at Magnolia and First Street|
1. Downtown Sanford - If I listed everything in downtown Sanford that I thought was worth seeing you would never be able to make it through this post in one sitting. There are so many old building from the late 1800's and early 1900's, many of which have been restored, that house businesses and apartments. The architecture is so eclectic... I've never seen anything like it in my 23 years. If you visit the museum, you can even get a walking-tour that highlights all of the must-see buildings. This may not be a big one for everyone, but it definitely is for me.
2. Historic Homes of Sanford - After checking out the businesses, why not check out some amazing homes? Take a trip down many of the streets that reach to the Downtown area (Sanford Ave, Palmetto Ave, Park Ave) and you will find some AMAZING homes. Some of these have been restored and are registered with the Historical Society. I'm a big history/architecture guy, so these places tend to take my breathe away. I've admired these places since I was a kid and I think it's time you take a look.
3. Sanford Grammer - This building was the old high-school, then I believe it was the grammer school, and now it's a museum. I remember going there on a field trip in 4th grade and how interested I was in all of the exhibits. If I remember correctly, there is also a garden out back. It's definitely worth stopping in for a few minutes.
4. Little Fish Huge Pond - Ok, this one is actually Downtown too, but still, if you are looking for a few drinks (beer only.. maybe wine, I can't remember) you have to at least check this place out. It's the smallest little hole in the wall you'll ever see, but it's a very strange place. There's crazy artwork everywhere, there are couches to sit on, a dining room table... it kind of feels like hanging out in your buddy's basement. Oh, and every time I've gone there's always been really good live music.
5. Lee's Chicken - This place has the best chicken, and sides for that matter, that I've ever had in my life. It's been in Sanford forever! Maybe I'm partial because it was in walking distance from my old house, but still, I've never had anything that wasn't delicious. Oh! And the sweet tea is to die for, just make sure you ask for the crushed ice from behind the counter. Stop in for lunch, and don't forget your appetite.
And there you have it... my top five favorite places to visit in Sanford, FL. I could go and on forever about downtown, but I'll save that for future posts :-)